Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Ten Apples Up On Top" with Apple Playdough

We love books. Especially books that allow us to play and read at the same time! I saw a recipe on Pinterest for Apple Playdough but didn't have the book the original blogger used with her activity. After looking through my bookshelf I realized we had "Ten Apples Up on Top" and that it would be perfect! I picked up some inexpensive apple cookie cutters at my local craft store so that the kids could all make apples while we read the book. This apple scented playdough would be perfect for any fall activity or book with apples in it! It smells SO yummy!

The first thing we did was make the playdough. Here's the recipe:

*1 cup flour
*1/2 cup salt (use iodized, not kosher for smoother dough)
*1 Tablespoon olive oil
*1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
*1 cup water
*Red food coloring (I use the Wilton gel colors)
*1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
*1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
*1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom

1. Stir ingredients together well in pot. 
2. Over medium heat cook the dough, stirring constantly until it forms a ball. 
3. Turn dough onto a board (or the countertop) and knead until very smooth. 
4. Cool. 
5. Store in a covered plastic container.

When we were reading the book I kept a cookie cutter and a portion of the playdough for myself, making an apple each time the characters in the story added one to the tops of their heads and stacking mine like the illustrations.


No comments:

Post a Comment