Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Baking Soda Art

We all remember the concept behind the volcano explosion in Science Class. This is a really simple activity based on that concept. All you need is some vinegar, food coloring and baking soda.

I placed some vinegar in small bowls and added food coloring based on my desired colors. Then I placed some baking soda in several glass baking dishes. I also purchased some eye droppers for my kids from Amazon to help with their fine motor skills. The idea is for the kids to use the eye droppers to place small amounts of the colored vinegar onto the tray of baking soda and watch for the little explosions!

While this was a really fun activity for Nathan, my 7 year old, the eye droppers were a little frustrating for the three smaller kids. If we ever do this again, I may just give them small spoons and let them spoon the vinegar onto the baking soda. The frustration with the eye droppers led to a big mess when Tate gave up on them and started picking up the baking soda with his hands and dumping it into the vinegar.

The resulting art was really pretty and we will definitely try this again!!





No comments:

Post a Comment